Sparklepants and I recently came back from Curl Nation Tropical Outpost #2 aka Hawaii. It was warm and lovely there, with snorkeling and swimming in saltwater pools heated by the volcano and tennis playing and sea turtles and poke and general Hawaii goodness. We are sad that TO#2 will be shutting down indefinitely since the folks there are moving to the Big Apple, but we’re looking forward to testing out the curl-worthiness of NYC.
As you can imagine, getting off the plane in 28 degree weather was a bit of a shock. Good thing we’re soon headed for a visit with First Mate who is holding down Tropical Outpost #1. And these little (actually quite large) muffins are the perfect thing to warm up our insides while evoking a bit of anticipation for our impending trip to the birthplace of maize.
Blueberry Corn Muffins
Makes 6 Large Muffins.
Ingredients1 cup flour 1 cup cornmeal ½ cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk 2 eggs ½ cup butter, melted and cooled (or oil or combination) 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries 1-2 tablespoons demerara sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line an oversize 6-muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a 2-cup liquid measure, whisk together buttermilk, eggs, and melted butter.
- Fold buttermilk mixture into dry ingredients until just mixed.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Fill each liner ¾ full. Sprinkle tops of muffins with demerara sugar.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.